Tuesday 29 March 2011

Museum of London

What is it with me and being on exactly the same time schedule as all under 10s? First it happened at Hackney City Farm, then at Museum of London, where I could barely move for children. I can assure you it is not conducive to historical learning.

After getting stuck behind a walking bus of 8 year olds as they traversed a room almost exclusively populated by flints, I lost my nerve a little bit and headed to the shop. Retail therapy was the key to passing the time whilst the school groups dispersed. I spent 20 minutes perusing the excellent fare on offer (honorable mention should go to the plague rat hand puppet, the solar-powered waving effigy of the Queen and the collection of “nostalgic tins”) before I braved the exhibitions again…

This time I skipped the Stone Age altogether and cruised through to the Romans. There were still loads of kids about, and I’m slightly ashamed to say that I made a fairly swift exit... I don’t know if I’ve just watched too much Spartacus: Blood and Sand, but I felt a bit Roman-ed out; I wasn’t looking carefully enough, probably, but I feel like I’ve seen enough Roman artifacts in my lifetime. OK, Museum of London, what else you got?

Downstairs boasted – by means of an unassuming sign – an exhibition of “Modern London”, including fashion through the last few decades, mostly centered upon (in my eyes) a black cutaway dress from the good old days of punk. I stared at it covetingly… The display cabinet of fake afternoon tea was less good.

More listless wandering around and I was ready to give up. I am clearly an ill-educated fool who wouldn’t know good history if it was meticulously laid out in front of me… And then: something wonderful happened. I stumbled upon a temporary exhibition of London Street Photography.

Finally I had found something I could concentrate on. The hundred or so snapshots on display range from the 1860s right up to the present day, and offer a fascinating view of London life through a lens. I felt transported to another time; from My Fair Lady to Bedknobs and Broomsticks via Mary Poppins, and beyond. Keep an eye out for the Teddy Boy and Girl in Petticoat Lane… Fantastic.

I spent as long gawping at the photos as I had done scooting round the entire rest of the Museum of London. That particular exhibition will be on show at MOL until September this year, and is definitely worth a visit. The rest of the collections probably deserve another chance too… The museum is open 7 days a week, and there’s also a MOL Docklands to sink your teeth into (check the website for more details).


Cheapskate rating:
6/10
Too many kids, too many flints. Saved by Street Photography.

Additional notes:            
Check out the a-maaaaz-ing Street Museum app for iPhone/android…
The shop has an array of kitch Royal memorabilia (solar-powered Queen a highlight).


Got Google maps?: EC2Y 5HN
Nearest tube: Barbican (4 mins), St. Paul's (5 mins) or Moorgate (10 mins)
Buses: 4, 56, 100 (plus loads more, check TFL for more details)
Overground: Barbican (4 mins) or St. Paul’s (5 mins)




No comments:

Post a Comment