Wednesday 16 March 2011

Hackney City Farm

A farm? A farm? OK, I’m totally not excited. I come from the countryside. I am at one with farms; real farms. So why on Earth would I spend my valuable leisure time at a City farm?!

I’ll tell you why: Because there is nothing more thrilling than seeing a pig framed by a council estate.

To get in the mood (and let everyone at HCF know that I was worth my farming salt), I donned my wellies and obligatory East London Barbour jacket, and headed off up Hackney Road…

Entrance to the farm is through a kind of stable yard, which – excitingly – was overrun with chickens. Chickens! One side of the yard housed a shed with rabbits, guinea pigs and the like, whilst the other had various fowl (various foul what? Ho ho). AND, the pièce de résistance; pigs. I am terrified of pigs. But terrified in a good way; fascinated, morbid terror. All four pigs were soundly asleep in their pigpens. I was safe.

From the yard, you walk through to a… Pasture? I’m going to say pasture. In the pasture were a donkey, some sheep, more chickens, some mud and a hell of lot of ducks. Ducks are great. I wandered around a bit, although there wasn’t much more to see (to be fair I think there was a bike shop or something – meh), and then it was time for lunch.

The farm’s own Frizzante Café had an amazing menu of delicious-looking food on offer. Unfortunately, I had picked my moment to lunch very badly… A multitude of mothers were crowded in there, choo-choo-ing spoonfuls of organic mush into the mouths of countless babes in arms. I was put off a bit by the crèche-y vibe, so I pushed off. Shame; the food really did look delicious.

One final peek around the vegetable and herb garden before I went revealed a small pond with actual real life newts in it. A grand finale.

Although I felt I’d done Hackney City Farm after about ¾ hour, I absolutely loved it from stable-y start to field-y finish. The only thing that would have improved it is if I had been allowed to manhandle some little fluffy animals… And been able to get a table for lunch. The farm also offers additional activities such as pottery making, bee keeping and yoga (check the website for more details), so a fleeting look at the livestock could easily be fleshed out into something a little more substantial.


Cheapskate rating: 
7/10
Livestock heavy, but light on petting.

Additional notes: 
Don’t plan a trip on a Monday. They’re shut.
The website promised chinchillas; I saw none.


Got Google maps?: E2 8QA
Nearest tube: Hoxton (10 mins) or Bethnal Green (15/20 mins)
Buses: 26, 48, 55
Overground: Cambridge Heath (10 mins) or Hoxton (10 mins)


No comments:

Post a Comment